While there are numerous ways to reach your potential audience and market your business, email marketing still reigns supreme.
It is one of the most effective ways of reaching your audience, nurturing them, and converting them into customers.
So, it’s no secret that email marketing is a winning strategy. But, the question is: is it still as effective as it always has been?
To answer that question, we’ve compiled a list of email marketing statistics (and created an infographic) that show just how powerful email marketing is in today’s digital landscape.
Whether you’re just starting or looking for ways to improve your email marketing strategy, this article is for you!
Email Marketing Statistics (Highlights)
Email is such a powerful marketing tool, and the industry continues to grow every year. The statistics in this section will give you an overview of the entire email marketing space.
Here are the email marketing statistical highlights:
- The number of email users in 2020 was 4 billion and is expected to grow to 4.6 billion by 2025.
- In 2021, an average of 320 billion emails were sent and received daily, and it is projected to increase to 347 billion in 2023 and 376 billion in 2025.
- In 2020, the global email marketing industry was worth $7.5 billion and will reach $17.9 billion in 2027.
- Almost half (49.7%) of all email opens happen on mobile devices.
- Gmail is the largest email service, with 1.8 billion monthly users across the globe.
- 64% of small businesses use email marketing to reach customers.
- For every $1 spent, companies can expect an average email marketing ROI of $42.
- 47% of marketers rank email marketing as their most effective marketing channel, followed by social media (39%) and SEO (33%).
- Globally, email has an open rate of 21.5% and a click-through rate of 2.3%.
- Marketers who used segmented campaigns have seen a 760% increase in revenue.
Share the infographic on your site:
<p><b>Please include attribution to sellcoursesonline.com with this graphic.</b><br /><br /><a href='https://sellcoursesonline.com/email-marketing-statistics'><img src='https://sellcoursesonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/email-marketing-stats-infographic-min.jpeg' alt='Top Email Marketing Stats Infographic' width='800px' border='0' /></a></p>
Email Open and Click-Through Rates Statistics
What are the open rates and click-through rates for my industry? Do subject lines impact email open rates? How can I improve my open rate?
Open and click-through rates are the most important email marketing metrics, and the statistics in this section will help you answer these questions:
- The industry average email open rate in 2021 was 21.5%. While the open rate was highest (28.5%) in the education industry, it was lowest (17.1%) in the retail industry.
- More than 20% of marketing emails never make it to a subscriber’s inbox.
- While 86% of emails reach the inbox in Europe, only 66% get delivered to the inbox in the Asia Pacific.
- 33% of email recipients open emails because of their catchy subject lines.
- Emails with emojis in their subject line have a higher open rate of 56% than emails that don’t.
- Readers are 26% more likely to open personalized subject lines.
- Email subject lines with FOMO (a sense of urgency) can have 22% higher open rates than those that don’t.
- According to Campaign Monitor, the average email click-through rate (CTR) was 2.3% in 2021. While it was highest (4.4%) in the education industry, it was lowest (0.7%) in the retail industry.
- Adding a call-to-action button instead of a simple text link can result in a 28% increase in click-throughs.
- Including social sharing buttons in your emails can boost CTR by 158%.
- You are 6x more likely to get a click from an email than from a tweet.
- Including videos in your emails can increase your CTR by 65%.
- Research revealed that interactive email content helps increase the click-to-open rate by 73%.
- Custom automation workflows have the highest click-through rates of 17.27%.
- Monday has the highest email open rates (22%).
- Tuesday has the highest click-through rate potential at 2.4%.
Mobile Email Statistics
There’s no way you can leave smartphones and tablets out of your marketing campaigns today. They represent a massive part of email usage. So to create and run a successful email marketing campaign, you must optimize your emails for mobile devices.
Here are the top mobile email marketing stats:
- As of 2018, there were 2.2 billion mobile email users globally.
- 49.7% of email opens are via mobile, while 27.5% and 21.2% happen on webmail and desktop.
- 81% of individuals use a smartphone to regularly check their emails, while 74% use a desktop/laptop for the same.
- Mobile phones are the primary device for reading emails for 40% of users.
- 58% of consumers check their email first thing in the morning.
- More users open mobile emails on an Apple iPhone than any other smartphone, with 28.4%, led by 9.3% on an iPad and 2.3% on Google Android.
- Despite mobile emerging as the most important device type for email marketing, only 20% of the campaigns are optimized for the same.
B2C Email Marketing Statistics
If you’re a B2C marketer, you know how challenging it is to turn your window shoppers into paying customers, improve customer loyalty, increase customer retention, etc.
Here are the top B2C email marketing statistics:
- 60% of B2C companies use email to engage with customers.
- After receiving a customized abandoned cart email, 60% of shoppers returned to complete their purchase, and about 75% expected to return later.
- Consumers spend an average of 2.5 hours every weekday at work checking personal email.
- More consumers (around 70%) expect email to be around in 10 years compared to social media platforms or even cable television.
- Welcome emails generate 4x opens and 10x clicks as other email types.
- Transaction emails (e.g., purchase confirmation) generate 8x opens and clicks and 6x revenue.
B2B Email Marketing Statistics
The B2B industry thrives on email marketing as it’s a powerful tool that generates more leads and sales. Brands can use B2B email marketing to provide value to their prospects, educate them about products/services, and build relationships to convert them into paying customers.
Here are the top B2B email marketing stats:
- 77% of B2B companies use email marketing as an integral part of their marketing strategy.
- 59% of B2B marketers say email is their most effective channel for revenue generation.
- Nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases in a sales funnel.
- According to DMA, the average B2B email open rate is 15.1%.
- B2B marketing emails have a 47% higher click-through rate than B2C emails.
- Around 85% of B2B marketers use email marketing software (e.g. ActiveCampaign), making it the second most used tool behind analytics software.
Email Segmentation and Personalization Stats
Email segmentation is leveraged by many marketers today. Personalized emails feel custom-made for individuals, addressing their needs and challenges and offering the solutions they’re looking for.
Even statistically speaking, personalized email marketing is more likely to have higher open and click-through rates.
Here are the top email segmentation and personalization statistics:
- Segmented email campaigns earn 100.95% higher CTR than non-segmented email campaigns.
- Segmentation can generate as much as 760% higher revenue.
- 78% of marketers say they cannot do without list segmentation in their email campaigns.
- 72% of consumers are frustrated with generic marketing campaigns.
- 80% of consumers are more likely to buy from brands that personalize their experience.
- 49% of respondents chose to purchase a product impulsively when they came across a personalized offer.
- Around 94% of customer insights and marketing professionals said personalization is “essential” for meeting their email marketing goals.
- Segmentation and email personalization can increase conversion rates by 123% and revenue per email campaign by 141%.
Bonus Email Marketing Statistics
This section has some super interesting email marketing facts that could help you further optimize your existing email campaigns to get higher open and click-through rates.
- 55% of all companies are currently using email marketing automation.
- Email newsletters can also be a great way to generate revenue for your business. For instance, Ben Thompson, a Microsoft engineer, had 26,000+ paying subscribers for his newsletter, Stratecherry, in 2020 and he made $3.2 million.
- The newsletter subscription platform—Substack—has thousands of newsletters and more than one million paid subscribers.
- Businesses that A/B test every email see 37% higher ROI than those that never include A/B tests.
- The best time to send an email campaign are as follows: 6 PM, 10 AM, 12 PM, 2 PM, 8 PM, and 10 PM.
- Approximately 50% of Americans check their email while in bed, and 42% check it in the bathroom.
- 35% of marketers send 3-5 emails per week to their customers.
- 87% of all marketers plan to invest more in their email marketing budget.
- The average person receives 121 business emails per day.
- The ideal email body is between 50 and 125 words.
- 43% of users mark an email as spam depending on the sender’s name or email address, so it’s important to be recognizable to your customers.
- On average, 53% of an email is read. That means the reader spends about 8 seconds on it.
This post discussed the recent email statistics and trends you need to know about in 2023.
If you’ve read it till now, you’ll know that it’s still one of the most effective marketing channels. By understanding email marketing statistics and using them to your advantage, you can create email campaigns to help you achieve your business goals.
So what are you waiting for? Go out there and start emailing!
If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know in the comments!