Founded in 2010, Fiverr is an online platform that connects sellers (freelance service providers) with buyers.
Unlike other freelancing platforms where the client writes out a job description and filters applicants, on Fiverr, buyers purchase a predefined gig that best suits their needs.
By fulfilling its mission to “change how the world works together,” the company has turned the traditional hiring model upside down.
The platform’s growth has been phenomenal. In 2021, Fiverr’s 4.2 million active clients generated a total Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV) of $1 billion.
If you’re looking into freelance marketplaces, these statistics that we carefully researched for you make for essential reading.
Fiverr Statistics (Highlights)
- As of Q1 2022, there are 4.2 million active buyers on the platform.
- In 2021, Fiverr’s revenue was $297.66 million.
- The total Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV) exceeded $1 billion in 2021.
- North America contributes 57% to the overall GMV.
- Fiverr’s website generates over 50 million monthly hits.
Fiverr Buyer Statistics
We compiled the following key statistics to better understand what type of buyers are using the platform.
- As of 2021, the number of active buyers using Fiverr had grown to 4.2 million, a year-on-year increase of 23%.
- Between 2017 to 2021, the number of buyers on the platform increased by a staggering 2.4 million, which is a 133% increase.
- Between 2019 and 2020, the platform saw an increase in new buyers, which grew to 1 million.
- Fiverr’s recent Shareholder letter reported an average spend per buyer of $242.
- Between 2017 and 2021, the spend per buyer on the platform doubled.
- For the past five years, the average yearly spend per buyer increased by $30.45.
|Year||Spend Per Buyer|
- According to the Q1 2022 press release, currently, Fiverr has buyers in over 160 countries.
In addition to the gig price, Fiverr charges buyers a service fee on all purchases. The company charges a 5.5% fee on the purchase amount, and for all orders of less than $50, an additional charge of $2 is added.
Fiverr Gross Merchandise Volume
Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV) enables us to understand how much is being spent on the platform. Fiverr defines its GMV as the total value of services purchased.
Here is a curated list of key GMV statistics.
- 2021 saw the total GMV grow to a staggering $1.02 billion. This was the first time that Fiverr broke the $1 billion milestone.
- Between 2017 and 2021, the total GMV increased by $807 million, representing a 4.7x growth.
- GMV has increased by $300 million each year for the past two years, far exceeding the average annual increase of GMV between 2017 and 2021, which was of $201 million.
- North America contributed the largest proportion of GMV of any geography, representing a staggering 57%. In contrast, Latin America (LATAM) produced the smallest amount, just 2%.
- 43% of total GMV comes from outside North America. To increase growth, the company has focused on promoting the platform to more geographies. To achieve this aim, Fiverr spent vast amounts of money on a multilingual infrastructure.
- In their Q4 2021 shareholder letter, Fiverr announced that high-value buyers now make up 63% of the core marketplace revenues. The company defines high-value buyers as customers who have purchased services greater than $500 in the previous twelve months.
Fiverr Seller and Gig Statistics
Fiverr has built a strong reputation by offering thousands of unique gigs across hundreds of categories. Currently, you can’t pay or charge on an hourly basis, and gigs are purchased and completed on a project basis.
Here are some key Fiverr seller and gig statistics.
- As of 2019, 830,000 active freelancers were working on the platform. However, Fiverr no longer releases freelancer information, so a more up-to-date number isn’t available.
- The average freelancer makes $104 per month on Fiverr. The median average is even lower, being $60.
- A study conducted by Earnest found that 70% of freelancers on the platform make less than $100 per month, and 96.3% make less than $500 per month.
- Sellers are allowed to create between 7 and 30 gigs. The higher the seller’s rank, the more gigs they can offer. Typically, gigs span different skill sets and job requirements.
- Currently, there are more than 550 categories on Fiverr. When creating gigs, freelancers list them in the most appropriate category. The categories cover all types of digital services, including Logo Design, WordPress, Voice Over, and Illustration.
- The gig with the highest average price was Presentation Design, with an average price of $111.20, according to a 2021 study commissioned by Canva. The study only looked into short-term projects. Therefore, all of the Fiverr gig statistics are based on those that can be completed in three days or less.
- Technical skills such as programming and development appeared five times in the top-ten categories, demonstrating high demand and pay for skilled professionals.
|Gig Title||Average Price|
|Social Media Manager||$90.3|
|Mobile App Development||$81.3|
|Mobile Game Development||$69.2|
- As of March 2021, Mobile App Development was the highest paying side-hustle based on the maximum price earned.
- The most frequently offered side hustle in OECD countries was translation services, which appeared 16,169 times during the study.
|Gig Offered||Average Price|
|Proofreading and Editing||11,870|
|Social Media Advertising||7,948|
|Blog Post Services||3,645|
|CV, Cover Letter, and Resume Writing||2,889|
- Fiverr charges freelancers a flat 20% fee on all sold gigs, and the fee is taken directly from their payment before being credited.
- Only 1% of applicants gain Fiverr Pro status, which is exclusively reserved for ”highly professional sellers.” Earning this status is extremely difficult and requires sellers to submit a detailed application. Upon approval, service providers will receive a badge on their profile.
- Currently, Fiverr Pro is only available in eight categories, which are: Graphic & Design, Programming & Tech, Writing & Translation, Video & Animation, Digital Marketing, Music & Audio, Business, and Data.
Fiverr Revenue and Financials
Fiverr has been listed on the New York Stock Exchange since 2019. Therefore, all financial records are publicly available.
Here is a selection of key revenue and financial statistics.
- As of June 2022, Fiverr’s market cap stands at a staggering $1.54 billion.
- In 2021, Fiverr generated a record-breaking $297.66 million in revenue. Fiverr’s revenue increased by over $100 million in the last year.
- Between 2017 and 2021, Fiverr’s revenue increased by 5.7 times. Fiverr saw its biggest growth between 2019 and 2020, reporting a year-on-year increase of 76.9%.
- Fiverr is yet to become profitable. In 2021, the company reported a net loss of $65.01 million.
- However, analysts state that Fiverr is on the path to profitability. They expect that 2023 will be the final loss-making year and that in 2024 the company will produce a $1.1 million net profit.
|Year||Revenue||Net Income Profit or (Loss)|
|2017||$52.11 million||($19.32) million|
|2018||$75.50 million||($36.06) million|
|2019||$107.07 million||($34.75) million|
|2020||$189.51 million||($11.81) million|
|2021||$297.66 million||($65.01) million|
- In 2021, 59% of the core marketplace revenue was generated by repeat buyers, representing a 4% increase from 2020.
- Between 2019 and 2021, the core marketplace revenue by repeat buyers ranged between 55% and 59%.
Fiverr Website and App Statistics
Fiverr receives enormous website traffic and app downloads. Here are some interesting website and app statistics:
- In April 2022, Fiverr received a total of 57.8 million website visitors.
- The average visit duration is an astonishing 16 minutes and 50 seconds. The long visit duration puts it ahead of the typical website visit duration, which is between two and three minutes.
- Globally, Fiverr is ranked as the 556th most popular website. In the United States, the site ranks as the 652nd most visited.
- The age distribution that visits Fiverr the most is 25-34-year-olds, making up 36.49%. The age distribution that visits the second most is 18-24 years old (25.71%.)
- In terms of region, the United States generates most of Fiverr’s website traffic, making up 22.54%, with Pakistan (9.33%) and India (6.33%) taking the second and third spots, respectively.
- Almost two-thirds of website visitors are male, 65.75%, compared to just 34.25% being female.
Fiverr currently has two apps: Fiverr – Freelancer Services and Fiverr Workspace.
Fiverr – Freelancer Services is an all-in-one solution for both freelancers and buyers. It allows users to apply for jobs, submit work, and communicate.
Fiverr Workspace, instead, is a time and expense tracking software. Although it shares the brand name, it runs separately from the main platform.
- In May 2022, the Fiverr – Freelancer Services app was downloaded 200,000 times from the App Store and 400,000 times from the Google Play Store.
- In May 2022, Fiverr Workspace was downloaded 6,000 times from the App Store and less than 5,000 on the Google Play Store.
Miscellaneous Fiverr Statistics
Below is a round-up of all of the most interesting miscellaneous Fiverr statistics.
- In 2021, Fiverr launched “Subscriptions,” which allowed clients to subscribe to gigs on a monthly basis. Based on the latest data, 30% of subscriptions last for more than six months.
- The most popular subscription services are SEO and Social Media Marketing.
- Fiverr has 787 employees, and the headcount grew by 242 people between 2020 and 2021.
- At the end of 2021, 580 of the 787 Fiverr employees were located in Israel, while only 197 of them were based in the United States.
|Year||Total Number of Employees|
|December 31st, 2019||419|
|December 31st, 2020||545|
|December 31st, 2021||787|
- General Counsel is the highest-paid position in the company, with an estimated salary of $243,976 per year. In contrast, the Admin Assistant role commands the lowest salary of $51,738.
- Fiverr received an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars from former employees.
Fiverr’s growth has captured a loyal and highly-skilled set of sellers and buyers, and the company is set to become an important freelance platform to follow.
That’s a complete round-up of the most interesting Fiverr statistics in 2023.
If you have any questions or concerns, comment below!